Wednesday 21 September 2016

A Walk from Castleton :: Peak District Hill 5

Hello Lovelies,
On Saturday the weather forecast was for thick cloud all day...never mind I thought, at least it's not rain.
We set off in the car for Castleton, and happily the sat nav took us through the staggering Winnats Pass.  


It was surprisingly quiet in the car park as we pulled on our boots and I checked out the route. Just 5 and a half miles my guide said....but, and it's a big but....1,100 feet of ascent.


We wandered into the village and looked up at the ruined Peveril Castle


Castleton = Castle Town, of course......


Literally just off the Market place you come across this........


Which leads to the steep path up through Cave Dale........


It was tricky walking, on the wet and slippery loose rocks. I was relieved to emerge on to grass...

Looking back down cave dale

Oh look, free range eggs...ummm. Best not Buy any now though. They would be scrambled by the time the walk was over :0)


I loved the easy stroll past quietly munching cows here......


But towering up ahead we could see the high point of the walk....and plenty of people already up there.......


a bee enjoying these pretty thistles caught my eye.........



The path began to climb, and climb. We walked steadily to the base of Mam Tor it's self........


If you click on this photo you should be able to read the text........


This photo was taken looking back at the final steep climb up the hillside. I LOVED the view from here.......



Last few yards now.........


Yes, we made it :0).......


1,696 feet above sea level .........

the highest Peak District hill I've climbed so far :0)

We stood and admired the views for a while
Edale 



Then began the walk along the ridge......


As you can see it's a hugely popular spot. The national trust has had to build stone paths to combat the erosion caused by so many people. The Peak District was Britain's first national park and it's sandwiched between the big cities of Manchester and Sheffield so it's understandable that it gets busy at the weekend.

On Saturday it was surprisingly warm, and then the sun came out. Yay.


Time to stop for a snack...more hot cross buns with a view :0)........


And study the map...oh look, that's a familiar view......



Oh, and a cyclist too.......



From our picnic spot we could see the impressive landslip that happened in the 1970's.....



I zoomed in for a close up of what used to be a road......


until it was covered in tons of earth........


As well as cyclists, runners and walkers there were lots of people in the air.......





the lovely view across the Hope valley.....


zooming in on  Castleton, houses and streets nestled below the castle and the impressive entrance to Peak Cavern.......


Oh , did I ever say how much I love hills?
Here I am looking very happy to be on such a beautiful hill on an unexpectedly sunny day.....

Reading glasses to the ready as I can't read a thing without them these days!

Soon it was time to start our descent......


A steep path led to steps.....


and then a tricky path.......


another view of Mam Tor and that landslip.......


It was interesting to read the history of this path on this information board. If you click on the picture it will be easier to read....


Ahhh, an easy stroll. Such a relief......


another view towards the cavern and the Castle........


Hello Sheep.......


Pretty barns and stone walls........



and cottages.........


It was so tempting to take off our boots and cool our hot feet here.........



But we resisted as we were nearly back at the car where sandals awaited.

Castleton was super busy by the time we got back too. It's a tourist hotspot and has a great free museum which we wandered around.

I snapped the exhibits which most interested me......








I loved the verse on the jug you can see in the picture above.......

Let the Wealthy and Great
Roll in Splendour and State
I envy them not I declare it
I eat my own lamb
My chickens and ham.
I shear my own fleece and I wear it
I have lawns, I have bow'rs
I have fruits, I have flow'rs
The lark is my morning alarmer
So jolly boys now, here's God speed the Plough,
Long life and success to the Farmer.

With the sun still shining outside we decided our tired legs might let us explore just a little more.....


after a little refreshment :0).......


This was my favourite view..........



I do hope you lovelies enjoyed joining us on this rather special walk.
Jacquie x

15 comments:

  1. Jacquie, I do so enjoy reading all of your posts. Since I live in the United States, I am just loving seeing all of your beautiful country and learning about the history of these regions too. Beautiful walks and lovely weather. How wonderful that your husband is going on these walks with you, can't wait to see more of your conquering of the Peaks. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed that you made it to that high peak! You must be very sure-footed to navigate that rocky stone path! That last house with the creek running behind it amazed me.. gorgeous photos! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pictures of my home county. I'm afraid I couldn't do that hilly walk. Glad you enjoyed your day. Do you not crochet anymore? I have used a couple of your lovely patterns in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pictures of my home county. I'm afraid I couldn't do that hilly walk. Glad you enjoyed your day. Do you not crochet anymore? I have used a couple of your lovely patterns in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really beautiful and magic walk!!Nice to see you...and funny food picture!!Kisses from Italia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bagged a beautiful hill! Thanks so much for 'taking us along.' I loved seeing the sewing notions and handmade goods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is that on top of the stone marker, and are the stones around it natural or did someone put them there? They look too symmetrical to be natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Trig point. A man made height marker. It shows the highest point of a hill, the one on top of Mam Tor is paved around it as it's such a popular spot.
      here's some more information
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation_station
      Thanks for your comment
      Jacquie x

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome, and oh, that's what that is. :) Triangulation did not occur to me. Love your blog, btw. Great pictures of places I'll never get to see in person,.

      Delete

  8. Beautiful! Wish I could live in England.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful pictures,I love watching eveyrthing you put here.Thanks for taking me along !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, a great walk! I've done the same one myself a few times! I always love a trip to Castleton and I've had some brilliant days there. If you go again, I'd highly recommend all the caves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely wonderful post,Love the pics.Brought back memories of when we went to Castleton ( Glyn is a Sheffield lad )with mother in law who is no longer with us.We even bought a painting there.xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my favourite, we stay at Ye olde Nag's Head roughly once a year (and the food is amazing) but our main walk is a slightly different route to this, maybe a tad longer. We walk out of Castleton towards the Youth Hostel, up Loosehill and across to Mam Tor then down the broken road back to Castleton, I think it's still only 6.5 or 7 miles but the views as you walk across the top are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.