Sunday 10 January 2016

Winter Sunlight

Hello Lovelies,
In winter I can see both the sunrise and the sunset from my south facing bedroom window. Of course the clouds have to get out of the way first :0)
This sight greeted me when I opened the curtains at 8am on Saturday morning..........


 But sadly the sunshine did not last.This morning it was also sunny and I really hoped it would last a little longer than yesterday.

In my kitchen the surprise white Amaryllis is already beginning to fade, though I kind of like the crinkly, papery delicateness of the ageing petals...........


By 10am hubby and I were at the country park, none of the boys could be persuaded to join us. Well I suppose they are of an age when that is to be expected, though it still makes me a little sad.
Ah well, at least it was still sunny. That certainly lifted my mood..........


The low sun glinted off the choppy ripples that the chilly breeze had whipped up........


....and it gave us long shadows . Today, as almost always, I was walking in a dress, with thick tights and plenty of layers. " Do I stand out? " I asked hubby as we passed  loads of ladies in jeans and leggings.
" Yes" was his matter of fact reply. Oh well. I think it's one of the good things about getting older....you don't worry half as much about fitting in with everybody else. I just find dresses so much more comfortable to wear.


I do have a pair of walking trousers that I wear when I go out with the walking group...so I'm obviously not completely relaxed about not fitting in ....yet :0)

I loved the bare tree branches and the shadows they cast across the grass.........


At the moment I seem to hear Robins singing loudly everywhere I go. These solitary little birds are calling out tunefully to each other...........


We did a long circuit of the park, which has lovely, mud free paths..........


Though I did take us on a little detour through the woodland...and some mud. Most of these trees were planted in the early 90's and we can remember when it seemed like such a barren, bleak landscape, with just tiny saplings dotted about. How lovely it is to walk through mature trees and see all the work and planning come to fruition..........


These days it's a very picturesque and popular place. There were certainly plenty of people around today, and even the ice cream man was there. Brrrr, bit too chilly for me as yet.........


My favourite part of the park has to be the lake, with it's abundance if bird life........

 

and lovely reflections...........





The park is very fortunate to have an army of willing volunteers. And in the sunshine this morning it all looked especially well cared for and generally wonderful.........


Back home colourful flowers in my hearth are making me smile........


A thoughtful gift from hubby. He knows how much I love flowers..........


On the challenge front I'm happy to report I managed to walk 20.5 miles this week, just on target thanks to a final mile this afternoon with youngest. I was pleased to get him out in the fresh air....but golly it was cold.


We walked fast.
Jacquie x

25 comments:

  1. It looks like it was a lovely day for a walk. It's so nice that your husband joins you. I well remember the days when the kids decided they didn't want to go on excursions with us. It was sad to my heart but part of growing up. I also wear dresses almost exclusively. When our temperatures were below 0F a couple of weeks ago, I did revert to jeans for a couple of days for the warmth. Like you, I find them so much more comfortable.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so fond of your photos that first I bought the same camera and now a pedometer !!! Your lucky your husband walks with you .I was married 51 years and could never convince mine to walk with me .y.s

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way .I used to wear skirts but when you have support socks ,they don't show with trousers ...a shame .y.s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks a chilly morning. I always wear dresses, far more comfortable!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We saw the sun yesterday, it was so good to feel it on my face again, so cold...and snow forecast too later in the week. Yes we are getting to the stage where it's getting harder and harder to get the girls out with us, mind you we have a puppy now to supervise! ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder if the ice cream van did much business? Love the flowers.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely - so nice to see the sunshine too! It wasn't that sunny here yesterday but it was dry and there were a few sunny spells.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's all lovely, the sunlight, walk and the flowers of course.The sun finally shone for us this morning, the first in many days but a chilly -7c. I too find it sad as the offspring's grow they need less time with mom and dad. I had a chilly walk Saturday (4ml). Don't know if I'll manage one today with such temps. Bird watching this morning, a cam in a Bald Eagles nest sitting on two blue eggs just laid in the past three days. I too don't worry so much about fitting in as I get older, I wear what makes me happy. Life's too short anyway right?! Enjoy the day and I hope you find time for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like more folks in dresses and skirts then, including me. As you said you can layer them. I think they are more comfortable to sit in too. Doing well with your walking.I can walk 2 or maybe 3 miles but I wouldn't be able to do it the next day too.If I go out one day I stay in the next. (flippin arthritis !) My Mum says " Old age isn't for sissies". ha ha (She's 89yrs old)

    ReplyDelete
  10. IT is sad when your children no longer want to go out with you but don't despair, mine were like that as teenagers and one still is but my 30 year old is quite happy to accompany me on a walk these days (as long as he has no better offer)! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had blue skies too, it was so uplifting. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I prefer dresses and skirts too - I have a long body and jeans keep slipping down! Also skirts are so much cosier! With thick tights & socks. Who cares if I look like a baboushka! I love to walk but can't persuade anyone in this house that legs are better than wheels. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the photos, wish we had some sunshine. I wish I was warm enough to wear dresses. I live in trousers these days since I retired. My favourites are a pair of Sainsbury's cords I bought last year, they are stretchy & have an elasticated waist.They stay up & are so warm. Best of all, no ironing. Bliss! Must get another pair. Or maybe two.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The country park is looking lovely. A bit of sunshine is a real treat isn't it. I took a photo of a mallard with his green head feathers shining as well yesterday, they really are such beautiful birds. I'm off to do a fast and chilly mile now to pick up the middle boy and drop a friend of his home. Maybe I should start counting them! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous pics, blue skies are good for the soul as are yellow petals :) Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos and lovely to see blue sky. So glad there are others out there wearing dresses too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have different robins than we do (I'm in the states). I looked it up and our were named after your because they both have a red breast and I guess ours reminded the early settlers of the Robins back home. But they aren't the same. Your's are look smaller and are so cute! I learned something which is always fun

    ReplyDelete
  18. The weather is just a nightmare at the moment here! BUT I am looking out my window at blue sky and that makes me very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i often pop by to see your lovely posts and enjoy your winter country landscape and walk with you through your photography...xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really, ice cream van?! I often wonder where they go in the winter time :) You wear what you want as long as you are warm! I went out in leggings and a jumper yesterday and wished that I was wearing layers upon layers! Another lovely walk with you (a blessing when I'm still sitting here with my crutches!). Have a lovely rest of week xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. such beautiful places, and those flowers...oh my, so beautiful!! :D
    I started folowing you on instagram, kisses, have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for such inspiring pictures and wonderful words. They brighten my days. What do you do with the Amaryllis bulb when it is finished blooming? I'm trying one for the first time this year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How lovely to watch the trees grow xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. There's something about an ice-cream cone on a winter's day - provided you keep your fingers warm. Lovely shots - looks like you had a splendid walk.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful view from your window! The park looks like a great place for walks or just sit and enjoy the peacefulness. We are covered in snow and our warmest temperature will be -6 degrees Fahrenheit today. Lovely flowers! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.